The Institute of Analysis and Scientific Computing teaches all BSc, MSc, and PhD courses of Technical Mathematics at TU Wien that are related to the introduction to programming, basic analysis and calculus, functional analysis and operator theory, ordinary and partial differential equations, and numerical methods and simulation (see here for the lectures of the current academic year). Moreover, twice a year the institute offers the so-called "Angleichungskurs Mathematik", the preparatory mathematics course for students of all disciplines entering TU Wien.
We provide the mathematics curriculum for students of Technical Physics, Electrical Engineering, and Geoinformation and offer a variety of courses on numerical methods and simulation for students in diverse fields including Computer Science, Electrical Engieering and Geoinformation (see here for the lectures of the current academic year). Finally, we are also involved in the interdisciplinary MSc course „Computational Science and Engineering“ and the international MSc course „Mathematical Modelling in Engineering“ which is jointly offered together with the Università degli Studi dell’Aquila (Italy), the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain), and the University of Hamburg (Germany).
Furthermore, members of the institute are actively contributing to TUForMath — Forum Mathematik (head: Prof. Dr. Dirk PRAETORIUS), a popular science initiative of TU Wien that provides "hands-on" fun mathematics for pupils and shows the impact of mathematics on science and engineering as well as perhaps less expected, on arts and culture, society and economics, and our daily life.
Every semester almost 30.000 students take more than 2.000 lectures at TU Wien. TU Wien is dedicated to giving its students the best possible education. With the Best Teaching Awards that have been introduced in 2017, TU Wien puts the spotlight on staff who particularly excel in this goal by awarding them with the Best Teacher Award or the Best Lecture Award. We are proud that at the Faculty of Mathematics and Geoinformation, colleagues of the Institute of Analysis and Scientific Computing were recipients of 5 out of the 6 awards. Many students participated in these award selection processes, and we thank them for this sign of esteem of our dedication to good teaching.
- Best Teacher Award 2017 to Prof. Dr. Ewa WEINMÜLLER (ASC, Research Unit of Numerical Analysis)
- Best Teacher Award 2018 to Prof. Dr. Peter SZMOLYAN (ASC, Research Unit of Analysis)
- Best Lecture Award 2018 to Dr. Andreas KÖRNER (ASC, Research Unit of Modeling and Scientific Computing) for his lecture on „Mathematics 3 for Electrical Engineering“
- Best Teacher Award 2019 to Prof. Dr. Winfried AUZINGER (ASC, Research Unit of Numerical Analysis)
- Best Lecture Award 2019 to Prof. Dr. Dirk PRAETORIUS and Dr. Gregor GANTNER (ASC, Research Unit of Numerical Analysis) for their lecture on „Introduction to Programming for Technical Mathematics“